Wednesday 15 October 2014

DVD Packaging Research

Research.
Looking through one of the books I have on my reading list for this brief called, DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design, I have found many different types of packaging design that is useful for me, so that I can experiment with different packaging for my DVD box set. Also looking online to get further research will help.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
This design is using the disc itself to look like eggs, and using egg box materials for the packaging itself, this gives a textured effect and also gives a strong impression on people and shows the sense of humour element of the brand. This is really clever and it makes think about what I could use and the tone of voice I am using for my brief.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
What I like about this design is the packaging of the DVD case itself. Although my box set would be considerably larger than this as there would be more than one. The material used for this is velvet-like and it has been embossed, this is something I would definitely consider as I think that embossing is really effective.
 
DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
I admire this packaging design and think that it is highly appropriate for the films that it has been designed for. Although I don't think that it would be appropriate for me, I think that is has been designed very well. As I am a collector of box sets and DVDs, this packaging would annoy me and make me not want to buy it because of its shape, it wouldn't fit properly into my collection, this is something I need to consider.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
This is a simple design for the packaging of this box set, it is clear what is is each box set becasue it is open. Although I think that this is a good way to keep it all together, I also think that it doesn't look like a limited edition box set, and that if it was closed it would look more substantial and high end. I am wanting my box set to be closed as I think that it will better for the films I am using.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
I think that having a double disc box set would work well for one of my films as there is Kill Bill Volume 1 and Kill Bill Volume 2, so this might work well. Apart from I want them all to be consistent throughout the box set, so I am wanting them to all be the same packaging. I could have the same kind of fold out and packaging, but instead of having the extra disc, I could have a piece of information graphics or a flyer of some sort about the film or Quentin Tarantino himself.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
This is a good way to present a story or film, or background information about a film. Having an almost publication about the film with the disc at the end to watch. Presuming that most people who have purchased this box set will be fans of Quentin Tarantino, each publication could have facts about him, about the film, and interesting facts to look out for, as if watching the film in a different way to the first, second, or hundredth time.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
What I like about these box sets are the simplicity of them, how standard the packaging is, and how well the colours work each other. This is the sort of aesthetic I am looking for when making my box set, having all of them working together well.

DVD-ART: Innovation in DVD Packaging Design.
The illustrations used on the white background of this packaging is aesthetically pleasing. This is what I like about this packaging. I also like how simple the packaging is, this is probably the kind of packaging I would like to produce, if it is possible for me to do. This is something I need to look into more, finding out how to create packaging like this, maybe look into how to magnitise them to shut them.

Source
This box set plays with the idea of the name of the series. This is another example how the use of tone of voice effects the design of the packaging. I will consider this when I am designing my box set. This is more of the standard shape that would fit nicely into a box set or DVD collection, which is something I am definitely going to do.

Source
Creating scenery around the DVD, it would need to be appropriate for the film, but it could still work for my box set. I think that making the packaging as busy as this would take away from the content of the films, it wouldn't be appropriate for Quentin Tarantino film, I think that a more simple packaging design with illustrations on the packaging would work better.

Source
What I like about this is the colour of the print in and on the packaging. I also like the fact that the packaging around the cases are very different to normal packaging for box sets. This is something I could look into, as after it has been open it is disposed of, which would leave it in the DVD format and scale, so that it would fit into someones DVD collection if it needs to, which is one of the definite ideas that I have for producing mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment