Friday 7 November 2014

Gift Wrap and Acessories Research - Tigerprint

Tigerprint Gift Wraps.
I think that it would be necessary to look at the general aesthetic that Marks and Spencers look for in their gift wraps, this will give me a better idea of how to approach my designs for the tigerprint printed Christmas pattern brief.

Source
Watercolour like illustration of a Christmas scene, on a white background, quite plain and ordinary.

Source
Simple pattern with simple shapes using Christmas colours on a plain white background.

Source
Child like drawings, using lots of different colours on a plain white background.

Source
Cream background with matchstick men. Vector illustrations using geometric shapes and Christmas colours. This is one of my favourites from the current collection, I would definitely use this wrapping paper. When design mine I need to consider the background colour and the detail of the illustration I produce.

Source
Simple shapes the create a Christmas jumper looking pattern. Christmas colours again on a plain background.
Source
Block red background with cute illustrations. Simple and to the point. I would also purchase this wrapping paper, therefore this is something else to consider, the use of a character.

Source
Silver foil vector illustrations of a reindeer on a shiney dark blue background. This is different to the other because of the finish that has been used, also the colours, this is obviously for an older audience.

Source
Photographic and typographic style pattern, also on a white background.
Source
Penguin illustration which look hand drawn. With little detail, also on a white background.

Source
Illustrations of santa with little snow on a brown paper background.

What I have taken from looking at all of the Christmas wrapping that currently exists at M&S is that there is a huge range of different approaches and methods. Ranging from photographic to illustrative, hand drawn to digitally produced, patterns to scenes, and detailed to minimal. There are a massive range for different audiences, therefore when designing mine I should consider the audience more than whether it would fit into the M&S range. I could even create different wraps for different audiences using similar characters/scenes, just in different ways. I have found that a lot of the background colours for each pattern is white or just really light coloured so you can hardly see it. I think that there needs to be more colour in the M&S range, including Christmas colours, this is something I will consider when designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment