Wednesday 20 May 2015

Publication Development

Design Publication.
After deciding the concept for my publication, and deciding what I am going to do with it, I started to work on the images that I am wanting to include in the publication. For each section I want to include spreads about the briefs that I have produced, why imagery is important to this subject and the studios that I have been to during third year that relate to this.

The first section of my publication is about image making and why it is important therefore I decided that it would be good for me to include my 100 days of...monster challenge as the main purpose for this brief is making an image a day. After researching into different things for the publication, I found Ricky Gervais's flanimals book. This lead me into thinking about dissecting my work into stages, like he dissected his flanimals and explained them. Doing this would show my methodology and the way that I work. Showing how I go from nothing to the image that I create, then also showing how I apply it to different areas of design.

Development.
The process of image making for me after the research and the thinking of ideas for a brief or project, would to be doing the initial drawing either on paper or digitally drawing it, although I would usually digitally draw things. Then I start to decide on the colours that I think are appropriate. Next is the adding of the contours, making the image less two dimensional where appropriate. Then finally I add the details that finish the images off. This will bring them to life a bit more. This is such an important process in the way I design. I think that dissecting the the images and annotating them, showing the stages that I go through will work really well for the publication, showing different examples of the way that I can then apply this to different areas of design.
After dissecting the first monster I started to get a grid system going about how I would produce the images for my publication. I wanted to create my book in the way that I would create any other piece of design, therefore each illustration would form a piece of information graphics about my images.

I think that showing how some of the briefs that I have been doing have developed is important, as it shows past the image making process, and shows how the image making progresses into how it is applied and adapted. I think that this is a really important part of my methodology, therefore it needs to be included in my publication.

For each of the areas of design I will include two double page spreads about a brief that I have done during the third year, that shows my methodology. Starting with the development process, then into the image making, followed by final pictures of the brief itself and the outcome that I have made.

This structure and grid system has been applied throughout the whole publication, so that it all fits in together as the publication is forming. I think that having the publication be in a certain order and have a grid system to it is important as it enforces the way that I work, as I like stucture and works in an order.

I decided that I would create the layout for the image making process pages in the illustrator and using a grid system in there so that it was easier for my to figure out where each of the images are going and how they will be annotated. Also it would help when I was actually dissecting the images.

Starting the publication with my statement/manifesto is a good idea, as this will introduce the reader to who I am as a designer and what I am interested in. Then moving onto the net page of my methodology in a diagram, also reenforcing this by repeating it on the back page. This will give the reader a good idea into what the entire publication is about.

Showing that the grid system is the same throughout works well for me, as it shows that my methodology is consistent throughout my design process, through keeping my grid system consistent throughout also.



This is the final digital copy of my publication, I am really happy with it and think that it is a really good way of showing me as a designers, as well as the process that I go through. As well as this being a publication showing my methodology, it can also be a good thing to show to studios, as it shows a lot about me, my designs, and the process that I go through to get there. This would give the studios a thorough understanding of me as a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment